Minor Football Championship Round 3 Report 2015

Written by admin. Posted in Minor Team

Published on September 22, 2015 with





Moorefield and Celbridge served up a highy entertaining game for their supporters on Wednesday evening in round 3 of the championship which saw Moorefield secure their place in the quarter final.

Celbridge were first to raise the white flag when the corner forward Conor Doyle pointed from play 20 seconds into the game after Kevin O’Callaghan won posession from the throw in and supplied Doyle for the point . Moorefield’s first score of the game came in the 3rd minute when Ian Meehan kicked a good point from play and they took the lead for the first time in the 8th minute when Jordan Fitzgearld scored a great goal after a good ball from Mark Murray. Celbridge replied with a pointed free from Conor Doyle and an excellent score from Ciaran Fitzgearld to reduced the deficit to a point after ten minutes of play. The teams were level for the second time when centre half forward Cian O’Reilly kicked a good point from play. Celbridge were dominating the game at this stage and put themselves into a two point lead with points coming from Kevin O’Callaghan and Ciaran O’Reagan. Tom Connolly reduced the deficit to a point in the 20th minute when he kicked a brilliant point from play after a great ball from Mark Murray and the team were level for the third time when Mark Murray kicked a brilliant point after Evan Kavanagh won posession from the kick out and sent in a great ball to Tom Connolly who set up Murray for the score. Celbridge were back in the lead a minute later when Cillian Byrne pointed from a free but Mark Murray had the teams level for the fourth time when he kicked his second point of play after excellent work from Mark Dempsey and Tom Connolly. Both teams were playing some excellent football and working hard to secure some scores, the next score of the game came in the 28th minute with a goal from Conor Doyle to put Celbridge into a three point lead. Mark Murray kicked his third point of the game in the 30th minute to leave a half time score of 1-07 to 1-05 in favour of Celbridge.

A converted penalty by Moorefield’s Mark McDermott in the 33rd minute put them in the lead for the 2nd time of the game. Conor Doyle had the teams level for the fifth time a minute later but Moorefield were back in the lead four minutes later after Tom Connolly kicked a superb point from play after a great ball from Ian Meehan. Celbridge replied with a good point from play from Ciaran O’Reagan but Moorefield were back in the lead two minutes later with two vital frees from Mark Murray. Moorefield controlled the next ten minutes of the game playing some fantastic football and Mark McDermott put them three points clear with the score of the game after excellent play involving Evan Kavanagh, Tom Connolly, Mark Murray and Ian Meehan. Mark Murray kicked his 6th point of the game with a well struck 45 yard free followed by a great point from Ian Meehan who made a great run to knock over a score in the 56th minute to put Moorfield into a 1-02 lead. Celbridge kept battling in the final few mintues of the game and added points from Conor Doyle and Ciaran O’Reagan but Moorefield had done enough and deservedly won the game 2-11 to 1-11.